Thursday, August 9, 2007

Cuban Boxers Strike Back

I've been keeping my eye on the story about the two Cuban boxers, from their supposed defection to recent repatriation.

I think its a very intriguing story how these athletes have become pawns caught in between the exploitative powers of professional sports and the powerful state control of the Cuban government. To me, it seems that both sides have little empathy for these fighters' welfare. I'll clarify more tomorrow.

In the meantime, the Cuban government released the full transcript of an interview with both boxers upon their return. They provide a very strange recount of what occurred. Read for yourself (in Spanish only). I'll try to summarize tomorrow.

Ninoska Perez-Castellon, today on her afternoon show, read out some parts. Of course, she didn't believe a single word. But, they can't be making it all up. Can they?

No comments: